I just finished reading Candide, by Voltaire, for my Western Civilization II class. It's a quick read, and honestly, I really liked it. My roommate, on the other hand, stated that it was the "most retarded book we've ever had to read." I don't know if it was the satire and cynicism of it, or just that I was able to understand it. You know, a lot of time when you read authors from the 1700s you get a bit caught up in the language and literary style, but Candide was so simple!
Some things were helpful to know, like having some sort of philosophical foundation, or knowing a bit of the historical context. The writing style, however, was simple enough for an elementary school child to read. Of course, I would never recommend that a kid that age reads it. It is quite gruesome and does not keep anything back. I don't agree with a lot of what is said, but a great deal of it strikes a chord with me, and it is one of my new favorite books.
We have Nietzsche coming up next in class. That should be interesting.
Now just allow me to leave you with a portion of the book that is responsible for the new title of my blog. Pessimistic, I know, but I can't help it.
"I hope," said Martin, "that one day she will make you happy, but I doubt it very much." "You are very hard in your beliefs," said Candide. "It is because," said Martin, "I have seen the world."
- Voltaire p. 104
Tuesday, February 06, 2007
Candide
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
and to think you are so young and have so much more to see...
i don't think i want to see anymore. i think i've seen more than i have any right to see...
It all depends on how you look at it... you're not dying from tuberculosis or aids in South Africa or forced to be a child soldier in Darfur... lots of people would take your life over theirs any day. But some people's standards, you haven't seen anything yet.
It's all relative.
And I LOVE Voltaire. Love the sarcasm and dry humor he uses. And Nietzche alternately makes me laugh and annoys the heck out of me. Good stuff.
well gee leanne...thanks for that. i'm glad someone appreciates my post, kelly. this book freaking cracked me up! i'm having a lot of trouble getting into the Nietzche book...oh well...
I was just commenting on your comment about seeing more than you've had the right to see.. I didn't not appreciate your post, I was conversing...
And do you really seriously believe it's all relative? The whole "relative" mind set has been making me nuts lately.
c'mon leanne! some things...a lot of things definitely are relative. i doubt kelly really meant that it was ALL, as in everything under the sun, is relative. i think this is relative. i mean, i know that my life can't begin to compare to that of a child soldier in darfur who has been made to kill his own family. however, i've seen significantly more than most of the people i see around me everyday, and i've seen more than most of them will ever see. it also doesn't mean that i've seen more than i want to see. it is relative.
it was actually a bizarre book. like i said, my roommate hated it. i like it.
leanne, I think you're right in that there are many people out there who don't think Jana has seen anything.
But on the other hand, the only one really qualified to decide whether or not Jana has seen more than she has the right to see is Jana herself. haha, it was a good comment, though, it certainly sparked discussion.
I've been dying to read Voltaire lately, I'm not sure why. I've never actually read any of his stuff, I've just read books by people who have read his stuff and comment on him a lot.
I'm with Kelly on Nietzche ... Rousseau too.
If nothing else, I'm a conversation starter...
I don't know... i still stand by my original thought that relativism is just an excuse for people...
can you believe anna nicole smith is dead... how weird... her poor baby...
No, not everything is relative. I couldn't be a Christian if I believed that.
But you said "by some people's standards" and my response was that most things are relative, simply because we judge them by comparison. I'm tall. I'm short. Well, how do you know? You judge yourself by the people you know. Relative. So in the context of this discussion, it's totally correct. You're holding Jana to a certain standard, as being young and not having seen much, whereas she is holding herself to another.
Discussions are good. :-D
Post a Comment