BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Health of Our Nation?

I could write a massive post and complain about everything going wrong with America, but that's not what I want to do. In fact, I got into quite a passionate conversation about the wonderful things America does with a friend last week. America is not perfect, but we shouldn't expect it to be. I do not mean any kind of disrespect to my country, and this isn't even necessarily directed solely toward America. I just want to leave you with these two quotes. Think about what they could mean, both separately and together.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within."
- American historian, Will Durant (1885-1981)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
- Thomas Jefferson

2 comments:

Shannon said...

What qualifies a country as a "great civilization"?

Jana said...

well, i don't know what the technical definition is, but i'm sure it has to do with power. there is no doubt that america would be included it it though... my guess is that the guy who said it was referring to like the Roman and Greek Empires, the Ancient Babylonians, the Mayans, certain Chinese dynasties, etc.