BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 23, 2007

The Best Day EVER!!!



So I seriously just about had the best day ever. I found the other night, from my Bosnian friend who comes into Starbucks, that there would be a Dino Merlin concert in New York the next day (yesterday)!! I freaked out. I wanted to go so badly, but the tickets were $40, and I couldn't ask anyone to pay that much to go to a concert they didn't care about. To make a long story short, my parents helped me with the price of my ticket so I could help out Jimmy with his so he'd come with me.

So yesterday I went to Astoria, Queens to buy the tickets. I found the place which was a Bosnian videoteka. Across the street was a restaurant called Ukus! After purchasing some Krompirusa and mineral water, I went to a park to sit down. Astoria is a mostly Greek neighborhood, so there were a lot of Greek families there, including a guy playing soccer with a group of kids. Around the edge a bunch of older guys were sitting around talking. At one point the soccer ball almost hit a group of them, and one of the old men starts yelling at the guy with the ball. The old man was Bosnian. I almost died laughing as they cussed each other out in a mix of English and their native languages. It was just like being back in Bosnia.

The concert itself was in a dingy club that didn't seem quite legit, and if I hadn't been with Jimmy and my Bosnian peeps I would've been nervous, but I fit right in. It was so much fun! Jimmy is African-American so I was kind of worried bringing him to a Bosnian event. They loved him! At one point we got a hold of a lighter, and you know at concerts you wave the lighter, so we were taking turns doing that. He had it and was looking really into it. This Bosnian guy walks by, does a doubletake, and when he realized that Jimmy was black he was so excited. He's like "Yeah yeah. Tako je! This is like our 50 Cent. He's a legend."

Yeah it was fun. So the video is really bad because I took it with my phone, but it proves I was there. Yesterday was the best day I've had since I've been in New York. I want to move to Astoria...haha...like I'll ever have that kind of money.

12 comments:

LeAnne said...

I'm so glad you got to go - seems like it was really a fun night. Did you get to talk to anyone and make any more Bosnian friends? How did Jimmy like it?

Shannon said...

WOW!! That sounds AWESOME! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time!!!

The Teez said...

Seeing musicians you love perform live is ALWAYS worth scraping together the funds to make the show!! Never pass up those opportunities even if you have to go yourself.

jed said...

what was dino doing in new york
never mind wicked

Anonymous said...

Jednom sam bio na Dininom koncertu Zenici na Bilinom polju, prije nekih 5-6 godina. Bilo je super ali smo bili pravo daleko od njega. Vidim da si ti bila pravo blizu. Hej je li Dino osijedio:)

Anonymous said...

Furaj Jana tom sredinom...

(dino merlin . sredinom)
Am E Am E
ovo je vrijeme kad se uči
Am E Am E
slovo po slovo riječ po riječ
Am E Am E
sjedi mali, tu je tvoj dom
F E Am E
daleko su istambul i beč
Am G F G
sjedi mali, tu je tvoj dom
F E Am
daleko su istambul i beč
sad si mali tu na raskr.ću
svi su pametni, svi .apuću
ti ne vjeruj nikome na riječ
svaki korak sam mora. preć.
Am G
furaj mali sam sredinom
Am G
furaj mali tom dolinom
Am G
bog te čuva, ti pazi ljude
Am G
pa .ta bude neka bude
F G Am
pa .ta bude neka bude
F G Am
pa .ta bude neka bude
F G Am
pa .ta bude neka bude
F G Am
pa .ta bude neka bude
sad si mali tu na raskr.ću
svi su pametni, svi .apuću
ti ne vjeruj nikome na riječ
svaki korak sam mora. preć

Anonymous said...

I am jealous... that sounds so amazing..that is totally the best day ever and im glad you got to have it! love ya.... ps..my brother and i used to make up our own words to that song haha

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I truly hope you enjoyed the concert.

Anonymous said...

sweeet! sounds like fun!
i moved downtown, to capitol hill
i love it. let me kow when you get out
here and we will hang out.... more than we
did last time!
excited to see you!
-h

Kelly said...

That is so so cool.

Unknown said...

When we were at a Mecedonian restorant right by my dad's house, there was an ad for a Dino concert in the Detroit area. Unfortunately, it was for after our departure. That was a bummer b/c I would have loved to have taken some friends.

I am so glad you got to go though. That is just super cool. And, now you know how to find Bosnians again in the future.

ywamce said...

I am also jealous... I would have loved to have been there with ya! Funny story about "Burek" - Ljilja and I were riding our bikes and we stopped for a water break just as some people were coming out of their house. The mother asked the son (obviously going to a birthday or something) "Sta si njemu kupio?" and he said "Kupio mu Burek" - and she started to galami at him "zasto si kupio hranu, jesi li lud???" and then of course he explains to her that it is Dino Merlin's latest cd... Ljilja and I kept the laughter in until we left but had to stop up the road for a good belly laugh!!!!