How come when we say that something is "an uphill climb" it has negative connotations, but saying "it's all downhill from here" is also bad? I don't see why it has to be so bad both going up and coming down.
Monday, July 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
For me, "It's downhill from here" has always had a positive connotation. At least when I say it. For me it means that the hardest part is already over, and it can only get easier.
Because the top is the only place where you don't need to do anything.
I'm with Zach. I usually say it to mean that it's gonna be easier from here on out.
However, I know it is also used to say that we have reached the zenith and it can only get worse. "Over the hill" means that we've hit the half way mark of the usual life span, and I think "down hill from here" got lumped in with it. So, it has opposite meanings.
This is one of many such oddities in our language. Also consider the common phrase "I could care less," which actually means, "I couldn't care any less about that issue, because it already matters so little to me."
jana! we better hang out before you leave!
-h
Post a Comment