This semester I am reading The Prince by Machiavelli. I have decided that it is one of the most brilliantly written pieces of political philosophy ever. Not that this is an original opinion on my part, but I'd never really read him before and this is the most fascinating thing I've studied since I've been in college.
Anyway, I'm working on writing this paper that is worth 40% of my grade and is due on Friday on Machiavelli's teaching concerning whether it is better to be loved or feared. Now, I already have some thoughts on it, but I'm just wondering, for those of you with any familiarity of the subject, if you have any thoughts...
This guy really gets me thinking and I'm sure there will be future posts on the matter.

2 comments:
Loved or feared... I guess it depends on the day.
Clearly both.
Love motivates more deeply, and fear more readily.
You want to be loved by those who are loyal and support you. You want to be feared by those who oppose you. Give your subject reason to love you - show them that you love them. Still, they must tremble in fear at the thought of betraying that love.
Importantly, isn't this pretty much God's stance? He loves us and wants us to love Him. His power works for those who love Him. But He makes clear that the wicked and unrighteous have much to fear concerning how they will experience His mighty power.
Post a Comment