I don't think I've talked about this too much here. But my school only has 2 majors (although it looks like they're going to add to that in the VERY near future): Politics, Philosophy, and Economics (PPE) and Business Management. Now...most of my friends here are business majors, but frankly, I've made fun of business majors the whole time I've been here. Jill and I can't even talk about it because she's a business major and we'll get into big fights about it. Business majors are arrogant. They're gonna be the ones who dedicate their lives to making money and hole themselves up in offices as their marriages and families fall apart. They don't care about people. They're just greedy. And, in general, everyone in the business program (students and professors alike), look down of those of us in PPE. They think that we're all a bunch of philosophers who are generally ignorant of the real world and basically just aren't as intelligent and sensible. It really gets to me. I mean, it REALLY gets to me.
So here I am, in this 3 hour voluntary discussion open to everyone in the school, with some of our best business professors. The idea is to try and understand the financial crisis. Now, I'm thrilled to be here. I really want to understand what's going on. We have this guy, Phil Clements. He's a very rich, very important, EXTREMELY prominent businessman who teaches at the school. Anyone high up in mainstream business knows who this guy is. He sold airspace to Trump over one of his buildings in Times Square. Anyway, he's explaining, in pretty simplified terms, what's going on. Now...unfortunately for me, Jill was sitting right next me. I'm taking notes furiously, not because I'm clueless, but because this isn't something that I have ever been taught in any kind of setting. She gets everything that's going on. I feel stupid and deficient because I need to take notes.
It makes me mad. Since last semester I've realized that I really should have been a business major. I do actually have a decent mind for it, especially when it comes to marketing and stuff. I've always stated that you need two things to be a business major:
1. A mind for numbers
2. Be motivated by money
And the latter is far more important than the former. I claim neither, so I shouldn't be a business major. But I've realized that I really should have. My degree will mean more when I graduate. I will be more practically qualified in a lot of ways. I enjoy the subject matter of a lot of my classes now, but they're not going to do me any good in the long run.
I would have struggled in the finance classes, but the more I see of the upperclassmen business classes, the more I think I would have flat out loved them.
Of course, as I write this, I realize that my problem is that I'm mostly just really sick of being looked down upon because I'm not a business major. I could shut most of these people down. And I'd learn a lot of valuable skills. I wish I knew this stuff. I really do...
Sorry, just a bit of a rant.
Monday, September 29, 2008
should've been a business major...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
The upper-level courses are always greener in the other major. Greener, as in green-backs.
I hate business... you can email me your notes on the collapse... all I know is I have a job and I'm thankful for it... especially since they had to let teachers go because of budget cuts.
thanks Jana....
Post a Comment