BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The worst fads?

Ok, well this was inspired by my "grillz" post. We've established that grillz are nasty and no one should want to pay so much to rot out their teeth, but it raises an interesting question. I'm just looking for opinions here.

What do you think the worst (fashion) fads, past and present, are?

Your answer is not required to be about fashion, but that's more or less the direction I'm going with this. Let me know your thoughts.

7 comments:

LeAnne said...

leg warmers over jeans... the feathers you could clip in your hair in a array of colors... banana clips... pin-stripped jeans... blue eye shadow... shall i go on??

Jana said...

right...so the 80s was a bad fashion fad!

Anonymous said...

Okay, up until the college football geeks came marching through LMU, I thought mullets were the worst.

I am here to tell you that a mullet-hawk is THE worst fashion fad ever. E V E R.

Picture this:

Burly boy of about nineteen (perhaps twenty), in an orange Volunteers football jersey (sweaty, and just ew from football practice ten minutes ago) waltzing into the cafeteria like he owns the place. Well, now this would just be the description of a normal Tennesseean boy on any normal occasion.

But this isn't any normal occasion. This is the day I became devirginized to the mullet-hawk.

It is a mohawk, but not. Combed forth in the front and back about midway on the skull, it trails out into a mullet-esque tail down the neck. Mind you, it's shaved on either side, creating the illusion of some sort of dead furry animal atop the skull.

Granted on someone like a Japanese rock singer, this MIGHT look slightly more civilized, but this is a guitar pickin', A twangin', football playin' TENNESSEEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ranks number one in the worst fads of all times. Thank you for your time.

Oh, and your mom.

Emily~

LeAnne said...

noooooo... not everything in the 80's was bad... I can't think of anything that was great... hmmmm... there was also the hairstyle that half your hair was short, and the other half was long... I think Madonna started it. Oh OH Oh... they had some cool earring in the 80's I remember I liked... They were really big though... kind of like the hair.

ISJ said...

Yeah, the 80s were really all about excessively large things, except for the very, very skinny tapered jeans. The 80s were just generally ill-advised.

One of the worst things to come out of that ill-advised decade, though, was shoulderpads. I hate those things. I hate them with a passion. I think they are quite possibly the worst idea ever, simply because, not only are they horrifically ugly, but they are completely and totally pointless. Except to maybe balance out the hair...

I'm trying to think of one from the nineties, because there was nothing wrong with the seventies except disco, and nothing wrong with the sixties except maybe the miniskirt.

BLING. THAT'S IT. Closely associated with grillz, these ridiculous pendants, roughly the size of your face, hanging by glittery bicycle chains, and always in groups of at least three at a time, are the single most gay-ass looking fad to come out of the synthesized ghetto. And that is saying something.

Jana said...

wow...so many horribly disgusting fads and styles have been mentioned here that i feel dirty just being here. i tried for a second to imagine if you rolled them all into one, then i woke up screaming... ok, not really, but if i tried to get my brain to work hard enough to see them all at once, that's what would happen...

Becky said...

All that 80's stuff is coming back...

~Becky