Ok, this can't always be bad. We have some really amazing customers too. In fact, one of my favorite parts of my job is interacting with customers (sometimes). Every once in a while you get one that really makes your day.
We had two girls come into the store, and I was on register. They were obviously from Europe and didn't necessarily speak English that well. When they spoke to each other I could tell it was Slavic, probably Russian. I don't normally like to ask people where they're from because I don't want to make them feel embarrassed, like they stand out, or like I don't think they speak English well. But I decided to go out on limb and ask.
The one girl is like, "Uzbekistan. You heard of it?"
(Remember, she's speaking with a strong accent) I'm like, "Oh yeah, of course!"
She looks at me in complete disbelief. "Really?? Where are you from??" As if I could not possibly be from America and have heard of Uzbekistan.
I told her that I lived in Bosnia. She got really excited and wanted to know if I knew Russian. I told her that, no, I didn't, but I could understand a little bit.
I asked how long she had been in America. She said that she had been here about 8 months, but her friend had only been here for a month. She said that this was her best friend from high school, but they hadn't seen each other since then, so now they're back together for the first time.
She was just so nice, and it was such a sweet story, and I guess she felt like we had a lot in common. It was almost relief on her face when she found out that we had something in common, however small it was. It made my night too. I can't explain it. I just felt incredible after talking to them, and I felt like I did something good, even though I didn't do anything at all.
It's the little things...
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Customer of the Week!!
at 3:39 AM
Labels: Customer of the Week
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
You did do something... probably a lot of people haven't been nice to her since she is obviously foreign. You made her feel like a person, and that she was important enough to talk to. You probably made her day as well.
That's awesome. Yeah, I think you really made her day too. Way to go Jana! thumbs up
This is John-bob by the way. For some reason my blogger account isnt working for comments.
wow people really think americans are stupid
Neat story, loved hearing of it over the phone. Similar one, I was in a dollar store and I asked the guy where he was from. Bangladesh. Do I know where that is? Yah, in Asia. Wow, most people don't know where it is. I grew up in Europe. Aaaaah, okay.
;-)
Well, Bosnia boy, it took my cousin Stacey, then in high school, five tries to guess what continent Bosnia is on.
Post a Comment