BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Apple is even amazing in New York

The most obnoxious thing has been happening to me. The "D" key on my computer keyboard has been ridiculously oversensitive. As in, any time I brush over it I end up with a "d" or if I rest my fingers as I was taught when I learned to type I get "ddddddddddd" and before I know it my spell check is going nuts! We're talking red lines everywhere, because now I have a stutter when I type as in "ddiddn't" or "dddddon't." It's really been obnoxious. Now, I realize that this is nothing on the scale of poor LeAnne's computer where the shift didn't work and all that, and because of this I wasn't sure when I'd ever get around to getting it taken care of. I mean, I took of the key and tried to clean it and everything, but that didn't work.


Lucky for me, Jill was having real problems with her computer (that's what you get for putting it in the bathroom to play music while you shower). So, I walked with her down the Apple store the other. I was avoiding it because people who work at places like that are always slightly less pleasant than the people who work elsewhere. Not to mention that my computer was filthy and I was embarrassed about that, and it wasn't that big of a deal...but Jill told me to make an appointment with a genius anyway. So I did.

We waited for like an hour...I wasn't all that thrilled with that. Finally it was our turn and my genius guy was really friendly and funny and Jill's (who was right next to me) was really cute so that worked out nice. To make a long story short (and I know there's no surprise here) they replaced my entire keyboard. But you do not even understand how exciting this is for me!

See, I must have ordered my iBook G4 when they were having a crappy week because my keyboard was so freaking LOUD. It stands out in class when I might be doing something that...oh, I don't know...doesn't have to do with taking notes because of the excessive "CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK" that everyone can hear. And it annoys the heck out of my roommates if they're trying to sleep or study because it's constantly "CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK." I feel self-conscious when I play the facebook Scramble game (which is like Boggle) because it's like extra fast CLACKING for 3 minutes at a time. It's so stinking obnoxious!

Point of the story is...my new keyboard is so pretty and clean and quiet... Not to mention 2 years newer than my old one. I'm excited.

7 comments:

LeAnne said...

Yep, new key boards are very nice. i didn't know yours made so much noise. I may have to look into getting a new computer sometime this year - my cd/dvd drive seems to be broken, as in nothing will go in it. Oh well, everything else works, it's just a pain not to be able to back anything up.

Unknown said...

Jana, I agree, your keyboard was never right. It sounds like you got the new one for free. That's cool. Is it because yours was so loud that they considered it to be defective? Did you point out the noise, or did they comment on it themselves? I'm just curious.

Anyway, that's great news on having a fresh new keyboard. Did Jill's humidity-induced problems get taken care of?

Janelle said...

My keyboard's been acting up too, but only since I tried to take it apart, which is therefore my fault. I love my keyboard though, I've had it for at least 6-8 years, I'm used to the pressure it takes to type and I'd hate to get a new one. :P

Kelly said...

I like apple people. They are very friendly to me at least.

Jana said...

LeAnne, I just sent you an email on how to fix your cd/dvd problem. I'm hoping to sell my computer to my brother later this year though and get a new one. I'm just gonna hold out for when I can get the free iPod with it too.

And they didn't replace my computer because of the noise. They replaced it because of of that stupid "d" that gave me a typing stutter. The quiet keyboard was just an exciting added bonus. But yes, they fixed Jill's computer too (even though it technically should not have been covered). She had to leave it overnight but they were really fast about getting it back to her.

And Janelle, I understand that sentimentality with your keyboard. I've had no such sentimentality. I think I got the worst generation of iBooks that every came out, and even though it's behaved itself, for the most part, like a good little Mac, I haven't been all that attached to it... It annoys me. Does that make me a bad person...?

Oh well...

LeAnne said...

I just want everyone to know that Jana fixed my computer... I'm am so happy, so very very happy.

Go Jana
Go Jana

Kelly said...

Jana rocks.