Because it's Valentine's Day, there will be no question of the week this week. This is my Valentine's Day post. It won't be happy, so if you're content with your current feelings regarding this holiday, tune back in a couple of days.
I really detest Valentine's Day. Yes, Christmas is highly commercialized, but at least there is some redeeming, spiritual, Biblical factor. There is nothing like that in Valentine's Day. It's a money-making opportunity, or for some of us, a money-spending opportunity.
I thought that I would feel differently about it once I started dating. I don't. Jorge was really sweet and we had our "Valentine's Day" on Sunday. I got a rose and stuffed gorilla and chocolates and cards. It was nice, but seriously, gifts like that can be given and are given, without having such a big, global to-do.
It makes me angry. These companies and businesses are making so much money off of this holiday at the expense of, not only the people spending cash, but also at the expense of the people who don't have anyone else. For example, I have a boyfriend, true. However, this is the first Valentine's day where I've had a boyfriend, and it's not just the romantic element. The other single people around me are out eating with other single friends and are sending Valentine's to their friends. I know people with guy friends who are taking them out to eat, because they don't have a boyfriend, with no romantic ideas or anything. It's not just a holiday for the lovers. It's for everyone. That is, everyone who has anyone, at all. There are people who don't even have the friends to go out to eat with.
It just feels so wrong. It exploits love and the people who feel the lack of it. It is no different now that I have a boyfriend. It's wrong, no matter what.
I was about to end this with "Happy Valentine's Day." Haha. That's very funny. How hypocritical is that?
Tuesday, February 14, 2006
Valentine's Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
i just got done eating cevapi with two of my other "in our thirties and single" friends... it was funny being at publix and seeing all the men leaving with flowers - grocery store floral drive-bys as they know they can't go home without something... I don't know if I'm cynical about it or not... It's my 33rd Vaelntine's day being single... are there 33 more ahead? I don't know... and at this point, I have way too many other things going on to worry about it... the good thing is all the valentine's candy will be on sale tomorrow... :)
Darn, I should have waited until after Valentine's Day to send your package. The candy would've been cheaper!
Happy candy day?! I guess a number of holidays could be labled such.
Speaking of the cost of weddings, I threatened not to feed my guests when I found out that it can cost around $50 per person. Unfortunately, I uttered this sentiment in front of my very opinionated and proper grandmother. She almost had a heart attack. Then I compromised and decided to take everyone to a Hibachi place where you get a HUGE meal (everything included) for $12. And you get to watch the cook toss up eggs and crack them on his spatula. VERY neat.
And I had a wonderful V-day, as you guys already know. :-)
Post a Comment