BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Manhattan, New York!!

I've been meaning to update since I got here, but I just haven't been able to get motivated, not to mention that I haven't been in the apartment a whole lot.

So I'm in New York City!!! I can't believe it. The city is great. I've had such a blast just exploring and people-watching and simply being here. It's amazing!

The apartment is great. It's small, like I expected, but we didn't end up with a fourth roommate, so there's plenty of space for the three of us. My roommates are both really into decorating, so it looks wonderful. It's just my stuff that's a mess =)

Fortunately, it doesn't look like we'll get another roommate, at least not this semester. My roommates' names are Jill and Kristina. They're both transferring in. Jill is transferring in as sophomore from Cornerstone. For the few of you who don't know, Cornerstone is very similar to Cedarville, so we ended up here for many of the same reasons and with similar college experiences. Kristina is transferring in from community college. She's been living at home, so this is new for her. You can pray especially for her adjustment to living with others and for us to have patience as she's making the difficult transition.

We've been enduring new student orientation since Monday. When I did this last year at Cedarville, I never dreamed that I'd have to do this again, and it hasn't been fun. It goes through Thursday...ugh...

The students here are so nice though. Right from the beginning my time here has been so much better than it was at Cedarville up until this point. It hasn't been easy, mind you, but much better.

Classes start September 5th. I know that it's normal for the faculty to kind of freak you out at first about the difficulty, in order to weed some students out and send you into the semester with the mentality to work hard. However, after talking to some upper classmen, I'm afraid that this is going to be much more difficult than I ever imagined. Honestly, as they've been talking about what they look for in the application process, I wonder if I got here through some sort of fluke. I don't feel like I have, or even can, live up to many of the standards they set. I know, however, that God has me here for a reason. I just will really covet your prayers as classes start. I've been trying to get out into the city as much as possible since I got here, in spite of the constant rain, because I'm afraid that I won't ever make it out after classes start.

I've been working on filling out applications for Starbucks. There are so many in the area, so I will submit applications to several. Hopefully I'll get a job soon with flexible hours, and that will give me my school breaks off.

So yeah, I'm in New York! I still can't believe it. Every time I walk out the door I look around and think to myself, "This is where I live!" Or I look up at the Empire State Building and say, "That's my school." It's so incredible. I just hope I make good enough grades to stay. Thank you so much everyone for praying. So many prayers have already been answered, and I know things will work out.

3 comments:

LeAnne said...

Since we talked last night, I don't really have much to comment on here, but I'll do the right thing and acknowledge your blog :)

Well, we both know what kind of mood I've been in, and honestly we both know that at any moment something can blindside you and tear your whole world apart. We also know at any moment, God can truly invade your world and blind you with amazing blessing - not the every day blessings He brings that we normally just brush off, but really deep, personal ones that when they happen, we KNOW beyond a doubt He's there - no matter how we were blindsided.

So, all I can tell you is I have no idea what your year will be like. i could tell you a million times to trust God and it will be great - but we know you can trust God and it can suck to the bone. So all i can tell you IS to trust God - Put your hand into the hand of God and hold on. And don't worry - when you're too scared or weak to hold on, He won't let you go. It may not be easy and may not be the way you want to go, but I'd rather go with Him than to go at it alone.

Anonymous said...

Let me just encourage you and say that your excitement and dedication to do well is an inspiration. I am starting school as you know and the work is going to be crazy. Probably nothing on par with what you have to do.

I'll be praying for a good job opportunity. Starbucks can always be an exciting venture. Then we can call you Jana the Barista.;)

Anonymous said...

Drago mi je da ti se svidja koledz i grad. Nadam se ce ti biti bolje nego na cedarville.
Nemoj se brinuti, samo naprijed
Pozdrav iz Ze