
Well, today was the first day of classes. During New Student Orientation the faculty and staff did a wonderful job of scaring all of us sick, and I'm not exaggerating. I've felt physically ill all week. I'm doing better though.
Today was the first day of classes. It went as well as can be expected. It's always kind of intimidating. I just really need to find the balance between school, work (which I don't have yet), and enjoying the city. I had 3 classes today. Intro to New Testament Literature, Macroeconomics, and Intro to Politics. Every day I'm here I wonder if I didn't get myself in way over my head, and I'm really fighting discouragement and paralyzing anxiety. I guess it's all the process of acclimating. I know it will get better.
It's not all bad though. I still LOVE the city! I've been able to spend time in Central Park, which is amazing. I also discovered the wonders of St. Patrick's Cathedral. It's about 15 blocks away on 5th Avenue. I've already been in there to pray and just be quiet. I will probably return there often.
5th Avenue is really a wonderful place. If I go north from the Empire State Building I pass the New York Public Library, the Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's, Trump Tower, and yes, eventually the Apple Store (which is right by F.A.O. Schwartz). Right beyond that is Central Park. It's about 25 blocks from here to there, and I've walked down the avenue a lot lately. I especially like going to the Rockefeller Center because it's a little off the street, so it's not so loud, but there are always people there, and there are lots of fountains so there's that nice water sound. It's really nice.
One of the most amazing things I've experienced since I've been here was just yesterday morning. The leaders of the small group (or "house") that the school put me in (all incoming students are placed in one) told us to meet downstairs in the building lobby at 5:15 am. They didn't tell us why, just to bring a camera, a metro card, and an appetite for a light breakfast. So one of my roommates, Jill, and I rolled out of bed at 5:13 and ran to catch up. We took the metro to the Brooklyn Bridge. Once there we walked out to the first main support, put out blankets, and ate muffins and drank coffee while we watched the sun rise. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my life. It was gorgeous!
That's what the pictures are of. The last one are of me and Jill. I would post more pictures of me and school except for the fact that she takes all the pictures because I don't have a digital camera yet =)
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
The Bad, the Worse, and the Beautiful
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That is some awesome stuff. Sounds like your going to have a killer semester (literally) Keep us updated
Yeah, I bet you noticed the water foutains.
Post a Comment