Ok, well I'm back at school, and my posts have been a bit less interesting lately. So now that I'm getting back into a routine, I decided that I should start up the question of the week again. I'll try and do it every week. The problem is that I got so many of my ideas from my unit mate. I'll see what I can do on my own though.
But first, let me get an image into your head:
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses, and all the king's men,
Couldn't put Humpty together again!
Ok, so who decided that Humpty Dumpty was an egg anyway??
(If you do not get the image of an egg from the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme, good for you, but go look through Mother Goose and you'll see what I'm talking about.)
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Back to the Question of the Week!!
at 2:19 AM
Labels: Question of the Week
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That Humpty Dumpty is an egg is not actually stated in the rhyme. In its first printed form, in 1810, it is a riddle, and exploits for misdirection the fact that "humpty dumpty" was 18th-Century reduplicative slang for a short, clumsy person. Whereas a clumsy person falling off a wall would not be irreparably damaged, an egg would be. The rhyme is no longer posed as a riddle, since the answer is now so well known. Similar riddles have been recorded by folklorists in other languages, such as Boule Boule in French, or Lille Trille in Swedish; though none is as widely known as Humpty Dumpty is in English. - all from wikipedia
Actually reading the whole article on wikipedia was kind of weird... people have done sme strange stuff with that nursery rhyme...
Wow that was pretty interesting Leanne. What I was going to say before I read Leanne's comment was that, maybe Humpty was a little person made of clay, and he was tortured his whole life to find some way to prove he was a real boy, a real person (Don't ask me how his legs moved, maybe his creator was a magician). And one day one of his friends (if any) dared him to jump off a small bride. Jumping at the chance (literally) he busted himself.
(???)
Yeah.
Anyway, another idea that I had after I read Leanne's comment was that maybe Humpty was actually a real boy, but he was a fragile little guy. Same situation, real boy, blah blah, and when he jumped off and hit the ground he broke every bone in his body. Ouch. But thats just my opinion.
Wow, Leanne. That's intense.
New question. I get to answer it first.
Post a Comment