BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Different

I came home today from meeting a friend for coffee. My roommate, Jill, was watching soccer on Mexican TV. I haven't really watched soccer much since I've been here since they only show it on the Spanish-speaking channels with like the Mexican league and stuff, which I really don't care that much about, but I sat down and watched it a bit with Jill.

Then halftime came around and they started showing all these commercials. I'm sitting here thinking, "Wow, I guess they might have Coors Light in Mexico." Or being amazed that they would have the same cars being advertised and all that. Then they started having Verizon phone plan ads and cable ads. Then came the ad for a car dealership in New Jersey, and it struck me, this wasn't Mexican television coming to us from Mexico. It was a Mexican television station based right here in New York!

Is it weird that I was thinking this way? I'm just so used to German TV coming from Germany. And when I watched RTL I didn't expect to see ads for FIS. I don't know.... It just kind of caught me by surprise that it was a local network with local ads, not in the local language.

0 comments: